Feb 16, 2010, 9:49 AM EST
It’s been a long time since Michael Jordan didn’t get what he wanted on the basketball court.
However, in this case he wants to own the court. That is proving a little more challenging.
At All-Star Weekend, NBA Commissioner David Stern said that the Charlotte Bobcats likely would be sold in the next 60 days. That leaves two bidders in the mix as that deadline approaches — Jordan and his people, and George Postolos (the current president of the Houston Rockets) and his people. It is possible there are other bids as well we don’t know about, these negotiations are not done in public.
Within the players and coaches, everyone is rooting for Jordan.
“I’m trying my hardest to get this thing done…” Brown quoted Jordan as saying last week. “I like the level, the increased level, of Michael’s involvement and if Michael were to be a buyer, that would be a good thing.”
Jordan is currently the managing partner of the franchise, but is trying to step up his position as owner Bob Johnson looks to sell. For Brown, that would be a good thing for the franchise.
What really matters is that the winner is an active owner, one willing to spend a little to field a good team, and one that can help the franchise connect with the community to fill up the seats. Those are the core moves needed to make this team profitable. The people of Charlotte deserve a good owner.
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 7
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 2
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 13
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 7
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Amar’e Stoudemire played well? Yes. Yes he did. 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (55)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (49)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)