Feb 16, 2010, 9:49 AM EDT
It’s been a long time since Michael Jordan didn’t get what he wanted on the basketball court.
However, in this case he wants to own the court. That is proving a little more challenging.
At All-Star Weekend, NBA Commissioner David Stern said that the Charlotte Bobcats likely would be sold in the next 60 days. That leaves two bidders in the mix as that deadline approaches — Jordan and his people, and George Postolos (the current president of the Houston Rockets) and his people. It is possible there are other bids as well we don’t know about, these negotiations are not done in public.
Within the players and coaches, everyone is rooting for Jordan.
“I’m trying my hardest to get this thing done…” Brown quoted Jordan as saying last week. “I like the level, the increased level, of Michael’s involvement and if Michael were to be a buyer, that would be a good thing.”
Jordan is currently the managing partner of the franchise, but is trying to step up his position as owner Bob Johnson looks to sell. For Brown, that would be a good thing for the franchise.
What really matters is that the winner is an active owner, one willing to spend a little to field a good team, and one that can help the franchise connect with the community to fill up the seats. Those are the core moves needed to make this team profitable. The people of Charlotte deserve a good owner.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 25
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 30
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23