Feb 16, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
While Amare Stoudemire and Tyrus Thomas are the hot names in trade rumors, one athletic forward — who other teams covet — appears to be going nowhere.
It appears Andre Iguodala will remain in Philadelphia.
One source close to the team indicated that Iguodala was very unlikely to be traded.
Another source close to negotiations said that “unless they change their position,” the Sixers would not be trading Iguodala and are absolutely not looking to shed salary.
The problem with Iggy was not his play — he is averaging 17.1 points per game, seven rebounds and is the best player on the team. The problem was the big four year, $56 million contract that remains, and if he was really worth that kind of money.
But he Sixers brass has consistently said it’s not about the money, it’s about what is best for the basketball team. And in the very early talks of a trade, Sixers general manager Ed Stefanski has decided that for now no move is the best move.
- Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to be team president. Or not. Depends on who you ask. 21
- Extra Pass: Western Conference playoff field ought to be really good, but just how good? 1
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: San Antonio with another impressive statement 13
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 8
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 28