Camby not happy about trade to Portland

Feb 16, 2010, 2:37 AM EDT

Marcus Camby had said to anyone that would listen he did not want to be traded. That he wanted to be a Clipper next year. Apparently he really likes In-n-Out.

Because when he found out he was about to be traded to the Portland Trail Blazers, he wasn’t thrilled.

In town in advance of their Tuesday game against the Trail Blazers, the Clippers were having a team dinner at Portland’s Ringside steakhouse Monday night when Camby received a call on his cell phone from Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard. Pritchard informed Camby that he will likely be traded to Portland once the league finalizes the deal on Tuesday.

After taking the call, Camby immediately walked out of the restaurant. A source close to him says he is “very upset” about the trade.

Camby is a professional, he will report to Portland, maybe tomorrow in time to take on his old team. It won’t take long to find out that playing with Brandon Roy is a lot fun. His Clipper teammates, who were not happy to lose the popular center, will get over it as well.

But sometimes we forget these players are people, who have families, friends,  homes, friends, and places they like and want to live. They get paid well to play a game, but uprooting and moving for something beyond your control – moving from a place you love – is never fun.

1. Doug Coleman - Feb 16, 2010 at 3:15 AM

I think, if this happens, this it’s a brilliant deal for both teams.
    The Blazers get a rebounding beast and the big man they desperately need right now and the Clips get Blake, a seasoned veteran guard and Travis Outlaw, a really nice young player (damn good, really) with a big future.

2. maddog - Feb 16, 2010 at 9:03 AM

If I got paid millions of dollars to play a basetball game I would go in a heart beat. The Military moves us to places we dont want to go like Minot, Montana and we have to suck it up. Cry me a river and build a brige and get over it. After your contact is up the move back to the clippers.

3. Maddog - Feb 16, 2010 at 9:05 AM

I mean minot or Montana

4. BC - Feb 16, 2010 at 9:26 AM

If I were offered $5 million to move to New Zealand and take a job there, my reaction would be, “When do I start?”.

5. CMH - Feb 16, 2010 at 11:10 AM

This looks like a good trade from here in P-Town. The Blazers don’t have the PT to go around when Outlaw returns and were struggling to get all the point guards significant time as well. I love Blake, but Bayless has so much upside that Blake was going to be gone eventually anyway. Camby at least can’t complain about the rain this year, I think they’re getting more in Cali so far. @BC, I’m not sure too may people who know anything about NZ would mind moving there! Especially not for $5 million.

6. Paidthesame - Feb 16, 2010 at 11:10 AM

The problem with framing this as about moving for money is that he gets paid the same either way.

7. Anonymous - Feb 16, 2010 at 11:24 AM

You may think so, but not always a good move!
    I work in IT and was in similar situation. I lived and worked in Philly for 18 years and was getting tired of job. I was offered $65.00 to work as consultant in Memphis, Tn. Told them never! They up that to $80.00. Called me the next morning and offered me $95.00 an hour to move. @ 3 hours later I was on a airplane!!! 1. $$$$ was sweet but 3 weeks later I was miserable. 2. 6 months later, they terminated all contracts with consultants! I was in a city with no real family or friends and no benefits.
    Money is not always what it seems.

8. Pete - Feb 16, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Wait a minute. When a player, in any sport is willing to move to a new team for a new contract the line from the player and agent is normally – This (insert sport) is a business, and it has to be treated as a business. Why is it different when the team moves a player in a trade?
    Sounds like this professional is not very professional.

9. oldrazor - Feb 16, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Sounds like this professional is only human.

10. Roger - Feb 16, 2010 at 11:46 AM

With Roy coming back off of injuries, adding a strong big man is the only thing holding this team back after losing both big men to injuries. Injuries seem to be Portland’s middle name this year.

11. macedog - Feb 16, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Its Minot, North Dakota

12. Gone Gator - Feb 16, 2010 at 12:23 PM

He’s upset about being traded from a “Lottery” team to a playoff contender? In-n-Out burgers are good, but come on… The post season is what this league is all about and you can buy a lot more of those “Double Doubles” w/Playoff Money…

13. Woody Gollay - Feb 16, 2010 at 12:24 PM

I wish he was going to the Bulls!
    He understands the game and wins with desire and great D

14. Tracy - Feb 16, 2010 at 12:27 PM

When he got traded to the Clippers from Dever, I remember him moaning and telling the world how unhappy he was about the trade. Now he is unhappy to leave the Clippers? What does this guy want? And I believe he is still single (correct me I’m wrong) so it’s not like he is uprooting a whole family. Marcus, just be quiet and enjoy the life of a NBA player.

15. Anonymous - Feb 16, 2010 at 12:36 PM

send him to the Nets.

16. Brian - Feb 16, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Why not Minot?

17. Brian - Feb 16, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Why not Minot?

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches