Feb 15, 2010, 1:52 PM EDT
The idea sounds like something a few of the drunk guys at the very top of Cowboy Stadium Sunday night — have the lower eight teams in each conference play a NCAA-style one-and-done tournament to see who gets the honor of being wiped out in the first round of the playoffs by the top seed.
But it was a serious proposal put forward by a general manager and discussed by the competition committee Friday. It was the focus of a “healthy debate.”
The tournament was proposed by Denver Nuggets general manager Mark Warkentien in response to an invitation from commissioner David Stern, who had solicited ideas from committee members about how to spice up the final weeks of the regular season. Under the plan, the top seven teams in each conference would be seeded for the playoffs as they are now. Teams finishing 8-15 in each conference would play a three-day, single-elimination tournament with the winner being awarded the eighth seed.
In addition to providing more drama, the tournament would theoretically reduce the temptation for teams that are out of playoff contention to rest players and lose games in an effort to secure a chance at a better draft position.
The idea is on hold for now, at least until the new CBA is worked out.
I don’t see how this proposal helps tanking any more than the lottery already does — if I’m tanking the regular season I can tank this tournament, too.
This is about as smart an idea as expanding the NCAA tournament to 96 teams — aren’t there already enough NBA teams in the playoffs? Aside a little extra revenue for the owners, who really benefits? If the Bucks finish the season a game back of the Bulls, why do they deserve another shot?
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 2
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 26
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 21
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6