Feb 15, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Every chance he gets, Danny Ainge says the Celtics have a roster that can win now when it gets healthy and they don’t have to make a move. Yet the Celtics keep coming up in more and more possible trades, to the point one general manager told ESPN’s Chad Ford that Ainge was “desperate.”
Maybe the most desperate trade rumor yet is one between the Celtics and Golden State: Ray Allen, Kendrick Perkins, and J.R. Giddens to the Warriors for Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins.
Let me get this right: In a conference with Dwight Howard and Shaquille O’Neal, Ainge is looking to put his team over the top by trading Perkins — the second best defensive center in the game — and replacing him with paper mache Biedrins? Ainge may well be desperate, but he can’t be that desperate. The rumor is getting a lot of play, but I can’t believe Ainge is on board with that deal.
Remember, leaked rumors come from a lot of sources, and those people have motives. Agents who represent players in Golden State but would like to be in Boston instead. Rival general managers with an axe to grind. It is best this time of year to remember one simple rule of trade rumors: Everybody lies.
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 0
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 58
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 21
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10