Feb 15, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Every chance he gets, Danny Ainge says the Celtics have a roster that can win now when it gets healthy and they don’t have to make a move. Yet the Celtics keep coming up in more and more possible trades, to the point one general manager told ESPN’s Chad Ford that Ainge was “desperate.”
Maybe the most desperate trade rumor yet is one between the Celtics and Golden State: Ray Allen, Kendrick Perkins, and J.R. Giddens to the Warriors for Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins.
Let me get this right: In a conference with Dwight Howard and Shaquille O’Neal, Ainge is looking to put his team over the top by trading Perkins — the second best defensive center in the game — and replacing him with paper mache Biedrins? Ainge may well be desperate, but he can’t be that desperate. The rumor is getting a lot of play, but I can’t believe Ainge is on board with that deal.
Remember, leaked rumors come from a lot of sources, and those people have motives. Agents who represent players in Golden State but would like to be in Boston instead. Rival general managers with an axe to grind. It is best this time of year to remember one simple rule of trade rumors: Everybody lies.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65