Feb 15, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Every chance he gets, Danny Ainge says the Celtics have a roster that can win now when it gets healthy and they don’t have to make a move. Yet the Celtics keep coming up in more and more possible trades, to the point one general manager told ESPN’s Chad Ford that Ainge was “desperate.”
Maybe the most desperate trade rumor yet is one between the Celtics and Golden State: Ray Allen, Kendrick Perkins, and J.R. Giddens to the Warriors for Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins.
Let me get this right: In a conference with Dwight Howard and Shaquille O’Neal, Ainge is looking to put his team over the top by trading Perkins — the second best defensive center in the game — and replacing him with paper mache Biedrins? Ainge may well be desperate, but he can’t be that desperate. The rumor is getting a lot of play, but I can’t believe Ainge is on board with that deal.
Remember, leaked rumors come from a lot of sources, and those people have motives. Agents who represent players in Golden State but would like to be in Boston instead. Rival general managers with an axe to grind. It is best this time of year to remember one simple rule of trade rumors: Everybody lies.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 70
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32