Feb 15, 2010, 3:45 PM EST
Every chance he gets, Danny Ainge says the Celtics have a roster that can win now when it gets healthy and they don’t have to make a move. Yet the Celtics keep coming up in more and more possible trades, to the point one general manager told ESPN’s Chad Ford that Ainge was “desperate.”
Maybe the most desperate trade rumor yet is one between the Celtics and Golden State: Ray Allen, Kendrick Perkins, and J.R. Giddens to the Warriors for Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins.
Let me get this right: In a conference with Dwight Howard and Shaquille O’Neal, Ainge is looking to put his team over the top by trading Perkins — the second best defensive center in the game — and replacing him with paper mache Biedrins? Ainge may well be desperate, but he can’t be that desperate. The rumor is getting a lot of play, but I can’t believe Ainge is on board with that deal.
Remember, leaked rumors come from a lot of sources, and those people have motives. Agents who represent players in Golden State but would like to be in Boston instead. Rival general managers with an axe to grind. It is best this time of year to remember one simple rule of trade rumors: Everybody lies.
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 2
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 13
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41