Feb 15, 2010, 3:45 PM EST
Every chance he gets, Danny Ainge says the Celtics have a roster that can win now when it gets healthy and they don’t have to make a move. Yet the Celtics keep coming up in more and more possible trades, to the point one general manager told ESPN’s Chad Ford that Ainge was “desperate.”
Maybe the most desperate trade rumor yet is one between the Celtics and Golden State: Ray Allen, Kendrick Perkins, and J.R. Giddens to the Warriors for Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins.
Let me get this right: In a conference with Dwight Howard and Shaquille O’Neal, Ainge is looking to put his team over the top by trading Perkins — the second best defensive center in the game — and replacing him with paper mache Biedrins? Ainge may well be desperate, but he can’t be that desperate. The rumor is getting a lot of play, but I can’t believe Ainge is on board with that deal.
Remember, leaked rumors come from a lot of sources, and those people have motives. Agents who represent players in Golden State but would like to be in Boston instead. Rival general managers with an axe to grind. It is best this time of year to remember one simple rule of trade rumors: Everybody lies.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 5
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 13
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 30
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10