Feb 15, 2010, 12:11 PM EDT
While we all tend to focus on the Caron Butlers and Amar’e Stoudemire trade talk, most of the actual talking involves players far less exciting or impactful on a team.
Like Al Thornton of the Clippers. You can get him in a package with Marcus Camby or Sebastian Telfair. Thornton has fallen out of favor with Clippers coaches (old and new) as well as the fans, although the real reason they want to move him is to have the money to go after a max free agent this summer. As if one would come to the Clippers, but that’s another issue.
Thornton has some skills. He can finish at the rim well, but he loves the midrange jumper, which he shoots at a pretty mediocre 35% (and has gotten worse at it this year). Still, he is scoring 10 points a game and has a spot as an NBA bench player, but are you really going to trade for him? Only if you want Camby but need him to make the numbers work.
Thornton is a restricted free agent next year, so it shouldn’t be expensive to keep him around. If you want.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28