Feb 15, 2010, 12:11 PM EST
While we all tend to focus on the Caron Butlers and Amar’e Stoudemire trade talk, most of the actual talking involves players far less exciting or impactful on a team.
Like Al Thornton of the Clippers. You can get him in a package with Marcus Camby or Sebastian Telfair. Thornton has fallen out of favor with Clippers coaches (old and new) as well as the fans, although the real reason they want to move him is to have the money to go after a max free agent this summer. As if one would come to the Clippers, but that’s another issue.
Thornton has some skills. He can finish at the rim well, but he loves the midrange jumper, which he shoots at a pretty mediocre 35% (and has gotten worse at it this year). Still, he is scoring 10 points a game and has a spot as an NBA bench player, but are you really going to trade for him? Only if you want Camby but need him to make the numbers work.
Thornton is a restricted free agent next year, so it shouldn’t be expensive to keep him around. If you want.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 30
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20