Feb 13, 2010, 10:22 AM EDT
Steve Nash has had the Olympic experience before — he was the star of the 2000 Canadian national team in Sydney. That stay was pretty short, but not as short nor as memorable as his experience Friday night.
Nash was one of the five people who carried the Olympic torch through BC Place during the Opening Ceremony of the Vancouver Games. Nash, one of Canada’s best known athletes, carried the torch for a stretch, passing it off, then joining hockey legend Wayne Gretzky (who else?) to light the cauldron.
On his twitter account, Nash called it, “The most moving experience of my life.”
The timing worked out for Nash — his Suns and the entire NBA are on the All-Star break, so he had no games. While he would normally have to be in Dallas (which was actually 15 degrees colder than Vancouver Friday) for events, he got special permission from the league to miss Friday for the Olympic experience.
Nash handled the torch as well as he handles the basketball — no drops and a perfect pass to the next torch bearer.
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 1
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 28
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games