Steve Nash carries Olympic flame

Feb 13, 2010, 10:22 AM EST

nash flame.jpgSteve Nash has had the Olympic experience before — he was the star of the 2000 Canadian national team in Sydney. That stay was pretty short, but not as short nor as memorable as his experience Friday night.

Nash was one of the five people who carried the Olympic torch through BC Place during the Opening Ceremony of the Vancouver Games. Nash, one of Canada’s best known athletes, carried the torch for a stretch, passing it off, then joining hockey legend Wayne Gretzky (who else?) to light the cauldron.

On his twitter account, Nash called it, “The most moving experience of my life.”

The timing worked out for Nash — his Suns and the entire NBA are on the All-Star break, so he had no games. While he would normally have to be in Dallas (which was actually 15 degrees colder than Vancouver Friday) for events, he got special permission from the league to miss Friday for the Olympic experience.

Nash handled the torch as well as he handles the basketball — no drops and a perfect pass to the next torch bearer.

1. KinCopa - Feb 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM

OMG! I was so excited. I live in Arizona and just love Steve Nash. Excellent choice. This is a powerful picture! Great job Steve. You deserve it!

2. dgpic4 - Feb 13, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I’m happy for you and he does deserve it.

3. Rachel - Feb 13, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Seeing Steve Nash as a torch bearer was amazing. He is such a good, sincere person all around, he was definitely an awesome pick, it made my day =) Go Canada Go!

4. mma pound for pound - Feb 14, 2010 at 4:09 AM

Good work, enjoy to read this. I have already bookmarked this, I will be coming back to this site soon I’m sure.

5. Logitech Trackball - Feb 20, 2010 at 7:30 AM

Hands down, Apple’s app store wins by a mile. It’s a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I’m not sure I’d want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches