Feb 13, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
2/12 7:26 pm The hits from Adrian Wojanrowski’s twitter page just keep on coming. He is now reporting that the Cavaliers and Celtics will go “head-to-head” for Antawn Jamison, and that the Cavaliers are “very involved” in talks for Amare Stoudemire.
The key to the Cavaliers completing a deal may be sophomore forward JJ Hickson. The 21-year old prospect had perhaps the best game of his career last night, scoring 20 points in a win over the Magic. Hickson’s play has been a revelation in the last month or so. The question is whether Danny Ferry will use this as an opportunity to sell high or thinks that Hickson fits into the Cavs’ long-term plans. The Cavaliers are currently enjoying a 13-game win streak, and Ferry may be cautious about tinkering with the team’s chemistry.
Ever since Ferry took over as GM of the Cavaliers, he has managed to pull off trades while giving up almost nothing by way of assets. After Joe Smith returned to the Cavs at midseason last year, they effectively got Mo Williams for Damon Jones. This summer, all they had to give up for Shaquille O’Neal was Sasha Pavlovic and Ben Wallace.
The Cavs are definitely in “championship or bust” mode this season, but they may have an eye on the future in their deadline dealings. Stoudemire is only 27, and could give the Cavs a young core that would entice LeBron James to stay in Cleveland even if the Cavs have a disappointing playoff run. For that same reason, the Cavs could be reluctant to give up Hickson for a man 12 years his senior.
Another wrinkle in a Cavs deal for Jamison is the issue of Zydrunas Ilgauskas’ buyout. The Cavs are expecting that whichever team trades for Ilgauskas’ expiring contract will buy him out and allow him to return to the Cavaliers. However, the Cavs’ past history with the Wizards franchise has them worrying that Washington would not do them the favor of buying out Ilgauskas. What happens with the Cavaliers before the trade deadline could come down to how many risks the conservative Ferry is willing to take with the roster of the NBA’s best team.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 5
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 21
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 26
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 29
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 39
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 29