Feb 13, 2010, 12:20 PM EDT
Basketball doesn’t have a steroid problems, right? Rashard Lewis getting nailed for a banned substance this summer was a fluke, right?
Former NBA player Juan Dixon has been banned from play in Europe after testing positive for steroids, according to his Spanish team Unicaja. The positive test for nandrolone came in November in Greece, before he joined the squad, according to the team.
Dixon played seven seasons in the NBA after being a star at Maryland, not far where he went to high school in Baltimore. He played nearby for the Wizards as well as stops in a number of other teams. In the 05-06 season in Portland, he started 46 games and averaged a career high 12.3 points per game. Last season he played in 50 games back in Washington, but this year he had to go overseas to get work.
PEDs may not be the problem in basketball it is in other sports — the culture is different, pure speed is prized over bulk. There is testing in place. But do not pretend the issue does not exist, because like roaches that scatter when the lights come on, for every one you see (or catch) there are others you do not. Maybe more than you want to know.
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 8
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 9
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” 34
- Spurs shut down Zach Randolph in Western Conference Finals’ first major strategic move 2
- Report: Terrence Williams arrested in domestic violence case involving threats with a gun 8
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (95)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PFT: Chad Johnson arrested for probation violation
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay