Feb 12, 2010, 11:42 PM EST
Can you be embarrassed by the outcome of a meaningless exhibition game? Probably not. So the NBA sophomore class can still go out and party in Dallas tonight rather than sulk in their rooms. But they had better be ready to take some heat from their friends and peers.
That’s because for first time in eight years, the rookies beat the sophomores in the All-Star Weekend kickoff event, the Rookie/Sophomore challenge, 140-128.
Soon-to-be rookie of the year Tyreke Evans from Sacramento won the MVP award for his 26 points — and a couple spectacular finishes at the rim — but he shared it with the Spurs DeJuan Blair, who dominated inside despite the sophomores having Brook Lopez, Marc Gasol and Michael Beasley along the front line. Heck, when Blair was going for points 19 and 20 Lopez tackled him. And he still scored. And GMs in Dallas got a call from their owners saying, “why did we pass on this Blair kid again?” Apparently, ACLs are overrated.
The rookies just went Don Nelson on the sophomores, going small and trying to run them into the ground. That works when you have Brandon Jennings and Steph Curry just attacking and launching shot after shot. And, because this game is played with all the defense of a Pac-10 football matchup, the sophomores couldn’t stop them. In fact they got sucked into it and started running too and ignoring their advantage in the post. That’s why Russell Westbrook dropped 40 but they lost.
Really, if you need more of a breakdown of the rookie/soph game, I suggest you go outside and get some fresh air. That’s all you should need.
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 5
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 6
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 17
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 17
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 4
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 23
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19