Nets may go after Coach K

Feb 12, 2010, 8:49 AM EST

Rick Pitino was never in the picture for the Nets. According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo, they appear to be trying to reel in a much, much bigger fish.

After the Toronto Raptors ownership exercised the 2010-11 option on general manager Bryan Colangelo’s contract this week, there’s a growing belief that Prokhorov could be turning his gaze toward Colangelo’s father, Jerry, to hire as New Jersey’s president.

The reasoning would be simple. This way, (incoming Nets owner Mikhail) Prokhorov could have the executive capable of delivering him the biggest, shiniest coach available to the Nets: Duke’s Hall of Fame coach Mike Krzyzewski. The plan, sources say, would be to make him GM and coach.

Coach K has been approached by NBA teams before — most notably the Lakers at the insistence of Kobe Bryant — but has never left Duke. He has said the 2012 games will be his last for Team USA and that he never wants to leave Duke.

However, coaching the Redeem Team to gold in Beijing, he has formed a special bond with some of the elite NBA players. So, if you were the Nets trying to lure a top free agent of two, Coach K becomes a very nice addition. The chance to coach a couple of those guys and be with his buddy Colangelo to build a franchise back up, that might be a tempting offer.

Probably not enough of one, though. Krzyzewski has it pretty good.

1. John Shearer - Feb 12, 2010 at 3:10 PM

This is interesting but unreal. Coach K is not crazy. He is a genius coach and is where he wants to be. Isn’t it easier to make maybe 18 road trips to win the national championship than between 40 and 56 road trips to win an NBA championship. Any well balanced person knows thats true. Since I am a U of Ky fan I have to admit I am not a fan of Coach K but I do admire the man for what he has contributed to college basketball. I wish him well.

2. Robb - Feb 12, 2010 at 3:25 PM

No matter where you went to college or what teams you like best, I cannot see why anyone who likes/loves college BB would not be a big fan of coach K……

3. Evan - Hartford - Feb 12, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I’m a big fan of college basketball and am not a big fan of Coach K. I don’t like his style of coaching. His teams are all about finesse and fundamentals. Rarely do his teams dispaly toughness and heart. The only emotion you ever see are tears when they lose.

4. Dan - Feb 12, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Unless Toronto or Nets come with an insane package ($10M+ per year), Coach K is not going anywhere. Nets are living a pipe dream. They should hire Jeff Van Gundy/Mark Jackson tandem.

5. Melvin - Feb 12, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Imagine that, an athlete with sound fundamentals…
    People who feel this way are the reason why the sports world is full of high maintenance children as opposed to fundamentally sound ahtletes…

6. verkaufsdisplay - Feb 13, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Very good article. I’ve found your blog via Bing and I’m really happy about the information you provide in your articles. Btw your sites layout is really messed up on the Kmelon browser. Would be great if you could fix that. Anyhow keep up the great work!

7. Major Ekmark - Feb 14, 2010 at 12:11 AM

nice articles you have here, thank you for putting your time into it!

8. Patrick Show - Feb 14, 2010 at 11:50 AM

I use GetArticleBot.com to submit my articles to like 400 places

9. BRUNO HOLMES - Feb 14, 2010 at 2:28 PM

The above site was great. I have been searching for just this kind of blog.I am appreciative for this information.

10. Larry M. Croft - Feb 14, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Hey, I really like the look of your site

11. foreveradog - Feb 16, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Very good well informed ty you for the information. From the guys at Bloggles

12. Backlund in 2012 - Feb 16, 2010 at 7:57 AM

If Coach K isn’t going to leave Duke for the Lakers, I can’t possibly see what would make him want to go to the Nets. He doesn’t need the money and he doesn’t need the headache.

13. Jim - Senior - Feb 16, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Hmm not so sure, considering…

14. Herminia Graubard - Feb 17, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Online articles directories have gained in popularity during the last decade. The predominant reason for this are many SEO related features and possibilities an article directory has to offer to authors and content seekers. Some of the popular articles directories allow authors to submit their work for free while some charge a small one-time registration fee. Submit your articles to a business directory and get published within 24 hours!

15. Dominic Kernes - Feb 20, 2010 at 4:49 AM

Very interesting read. Thanks.

16. chad - Feb 25, 2010 at 12:57 PM

but how many times does that happen

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches