Celtics now deny Jamison, Butler for Ray Allen

Feb 12, 2010, 1:07 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for nba_allen.jpgUpdate 1:04 pm Celtics General Manager Danny Ainge is now denying that these talks are taking place at all. This deal is apparently now dead. Much to the dismay of Celtics fans.

10:07 am Celtics General Manager Danny Ainge is not afraid of the big move. Heck, that’s how the Celtics got here in the first place.

Now, with the team’s championship window appearing to close, he is close to making another big move.

In a dramatic move that would resuscitate their fading championship hopes, the Boston Celtics are discussing a deal with the Washington Wizards for forwards Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler, league sources told Yahoo! Sports on Friday.

The proposed deal would send the expiring contracts of Ray Allen(notes), Brian Scalabrine and J.R. Giddens to the Wizards, a move that would signal the start of Washington’s rebuilding process…

For the Celtics, ownership would have to agree to take on an additional $24 million in salary next season between Jamison and Butler. Jamison makes more than $15 million in 2011-12, but most owners are discounting those salaries because of an assumption that there will be a labor lockout and some, if not all, of that money will never be paid to the players.

Lets ignore that “owners expect a lockout” line and just focus on the trade for now.

That would bring a lot of offensive firepower to the Celtics — a combined 37 points and 15 rebounds a game, plus spread out the scoring among more players Both are also shooting the three just a little better than Allen this year (who has seen a dramatic drop off to 33.8% from three, the lowest percentage of his career). Also, both Butler and Jamison are getting to the rim more than Allen this year.

This deal is not imminent and both teams are working multiple deals for their stars. However, if it comes down this would be a huge upgrade for the Celtics, although a healthy Kevin Garnett would still be needed to get banner 18.

1. Jake - Feb 12, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Would they be starters? Seeing as Pierce is the SF, would Butler take Allens place as the C’s SG? And what about Jamison, would he take KGs place or come off the bench.
    It would be a crazy move – but someone is coming off the bench. Can any of these players handle that?

2. Dylan - Feb 12, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Jamison was a 6th man when he was in the prime of his career in Dallas. I don’t see him having a problem with coming off the bench, especially with a winning team. Pierce will move to SG, and Butler will be the starting SF. Jamison would be A LOT better insurance policy for Garnett than Rasheed Wallace.
    If this trade is made, we will have SIX current or former all-stars on our team. (Rondo, Pierce, Garnett, Jamison, Butler, Wallace) MAKE THE TRADE!!!!

3. Ryan - Feb 12, 2010 at 10:47 AM

You mean banner 18 right?

4. Tsunami - Feb 12, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I get a feeling that the Wizards are trying to drive up the Cavs offer by scaring them with this move. This is nothing more than a cap clearing move so the fact that the Wiz won’t give the Cavs Jamison in a cap clearing move is puzzling.

5. Don - Feb 12, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I’ve almost completely written off the Celtics as viable NBA candidates this year. I’ve stopped putting money on them entirely. So I’m no Celtic fan.
    That said, this deal would make them a very dangerous team. Matchup problems everywhere. Need defense? Rondo, Butler, Pierce, Garnett and Perkins on the floor. Need to go small? Rondo, Butler, Pierce, Jamison, Garnett. Need to shoot? House, Butler, Pierce, Jamison, Garnett.
    They could do it all.

6. CLAYTON C DICKSON - Feb 12, 2010 at 2:02 PM

if i am a celtic fan i would be happy with this deal.

7. The Dude Abides - Feb 12, 2010 at 2:08 PM

I would absolutely love this deal as a Laker fan. The Eastern Conference playoffs could develop into a dogfight if the deal happens, instead of a Cleveland cakewalk. I’d love to see the Lakers and Celtics in the Finals again, with the Lakers winning this time. The Lakers could even break out their big lineup (Odom plus four starters instead of Fisher)

8. brooklyn kid - Feb 12, 2010 at 2:33 PM

As a Laker fan I say we will still kick their ass in the Finals but I rather Kobe serve The King and the FAT SHAQ FOR RING # 4.
    Boston sucks, the Celtics too.

9. Anonymous - Feb 12, 2010 at 2:34 PM

#5, sorry Kobe.

10. Keith - Feb 12, 2010 at 2:45 PM

You mean Kobe getting ring # 5. He got his forth last year. Come on Laker fan, get it right. But I agree, would love to take it to big-mouth Shaq. Always bad talks every place he leaves.

11. Yinoma2001 - Feb 12, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Imagine the outrage if the Wizards simply waive Allen and let him re-sign with the Celtics…

12. buy lighter - Feb 12, 2010 at 4:51 PM

I’ve got several car projects happening, and I do believe my niece is going to get me a brand new beld sander on my birthday too.

13. Htown - Feb 12, 2010 at 5:52 PM

that would have been a good deal for the celtics

14. Gr8 Scott - Feb 12, 2010 at 6:30 PM

I would love to see the Celtics have the firepower to push Cleveland to 7 games because as currently constructed, that ain’t happenin’.

15. Ingram - Feb 13, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Cleveland chokes in the playoffs specially lebron they will not get to the Eastern Conference Finals I think Boston will step up or an unexpected team will rise

16. Rossie Notik - Feb 13, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Greetings thanks for posting this, found it to be a interesting read after finding it on Yahoo searching for similar topics and i shall pass the link on to a few friends.

17. Luigi Fulk - Feb 14, 2010 at 11:17 PM

The new Zune browser is surprisingly good, but not as good as the iPod’s. It works well, but isn’t as fast as Safari, and has a clunkier interface. If you occasionally plan on using the web browser that’s not an issue, but if you’re planning to browse the web alot from your PMP then the iPod’s larger screen and better browser may be important.

18. Yolanda Gundersen - Feb 17, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Online articles directories have significantly gained in esteem during the last few years. The main reason for this are many SEO related features and possibilities an article directory made available to authors and content seekers. Some of the popularized articles directories allow authors to submit their work for free while some charge a small one-time registration fee. Submit your articles to a health directory and get published within a day!

19. google malware - Feb 17, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I definitely doubt I could ever keep up with maintaining a site like this! Fantastic piece of work, I hope you keep on for a long time.

20. microsoft virus - Feb 17, 2010 at 9:14 PM

I absolutely am loving this article, absolutely gonna have to remember to add this to my bookmarks.

21. internet connection speeds - Feb 17, 2010 at 9:42 PM

It’s good to see this site is finally getting the attention it totally deserves. Keep up the fantastic work.

22. World of Warcraft PvP - Feb 18, 2010 at 5:57 AM

Hey. Great blog. I’ve been searching around for blogs like this for a while, and I finally found the info I’ve been looking for!

23. Milan Christo - Feb 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview