Feb 11, 2010, 3:19 PM EST
Of the myriad complications in planning a massive event like All-Star Weekend, it’s safe to say that the remote possibility of a snowstorm in Dallas barely even registered. Dallas may not be facing a “Snowpocalypse” on par with the Northeast, but the weather in those two regions in particular has compounded into quite the travel nightmare.
The NBA is keeping a close eye on the travel itineraries of its players, but what can you really do when the forces of nature are working against you? The schedule during All-Star Weekend is packed with all kinds of events involving all kinds of players, leaving little wiggle room in terms of accommodating delayed player arrivals. Plus, though the NBA would obviously have a vested interest in having players like Jennings participate in the weekend’s festivities for a variety of reasons, the league also has a commitment to TNT and an obligation to keep the broadcast rolling.
That said, you have to wonder if certain All-Stars would be able to hold the festivities. What if half of the field for the dunk contest turns out a no-show because of flight delays? What if Kevin Durant can’t make it to Dallas to defend his H-O-R-S-E title? Or what if, (gasp), LeBron James or Kobe Bryant (should he be participating) or even Dwight Howard or Dwyane Wade can’t get to the arena on time? The weather in Dallas is bad, though not awful. That said, it could be the weather in the rest of the country that throws a wrench into the weekend’s schedule.
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 0
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 12
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41