Feb 11, 2010, 4:35 PM EDT
According to the Wall Street Journal’s Hannah Karp, mostly the ones who weren’t born in America. Andrei Kirilenko, Adonal Foyle, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, and Emeka Okafor are all among the league’s most avid readers. Of those four, only Okafor was born in America, and Emeka is a first-generation American of Nigerian descent.
Many of the NBA’s 83 foreign-born players say reading was always the main form of entertainment in their home countries. Cleveland’s Mr. Ilgauskas says he grew up with no videogames and a TV that had only two channels. Nenad Krstic of the Oklahoma City Thunder says his basketball coaches in Serbia probably gave him as many books to read as his schoolteachers did when he was a child. “People are just brought up with more technology here,” says Milwaukee Bucks center Andrew Bogut, who grew up in Australia. (Mr. Bogut says he’s such a bookworm he can’t bring himself to use a Kindle. “I get more of a thrill out of going through the actual book like you’re supposed to,” he says.)
The NBA players who do read have diverse tastes. Ilgauskas is a military history buff. Okafor has read books like Cormac McCarthy’s The Road and Junot Diaz’s The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. Pau Gasol is 100 pages into the five-book, 893-page 2666, which Phil Jackson gave to him. The NBA game has become more and more influenced by the international style of play. We’ll see if pre-game reading catches on as well.
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 26
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 30
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 18
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 14
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 69
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26