Feb 11, 2010, 11:12 AM EST
Chicago may have given up on the talented but unfocused Tyrus Thomas, but plenty of other teams are lining up to ride the upside train.
Charlotte has made an offer: Acie Law, what’s left of Flip Murray and a first round pick this year. Portland made an offer of either Steve Blake or Travis outlaw (both expiring deals) plus two second round picks. Not impressive. We’ll call Charlotte the leader in the clubhouse.
But there are a lot of players still out on the course.
The New York Knicks, Sacramento Kings, San Antonio Spurs, Denver Nuggets and New Orleans Hornets are among the multiple teams who’ve spoken to Chicago about Thomas. The Bulls are telling people that they have several teams willing to offer first-round picks – in 2010 or beyond.
Bulls management is telling teams they expect to take the bidding right to the Feb. 18 deadline. The Bulls want to avoid the possibility of Thomas accepting a $6.2 million qualifying offer on the eve of this summer’s free agency, which would deliver a major dent to their salary-cap space. Thomas, 23, will be a restricted free agent this summer.
An interesting note from Wojnarowski is that the Bulls are working to have enough cap space to bring Dwyane Wade and another top-tier free agent to the windy city this summer. Derrick Rose and Wade would make an intimidating backcourt, although if the two guards who like to have the ball in their hands can learn to share would be an interesting experiment.
- PBT Extra: How would the NBA benefit from legalized sports betting? 2
- NBPA ready to appeal Jeffery Taylor’s 24-game suspension 7
- Alex Len, No. 5 pick in a draft full of players who looked like busts as rookies, showing he doesn’t deserve the label 4
- PBT’s Wednesday night NBA Winners/Losers: Video of LeBron’s fumble, other tight finishes 14
- LeBron James, with chance to beat Spurs, loses ball to end game (video) 39
- NBA suspends Hornets’ Jeff Taylor for 24 games following guilty plea for domestic violence 7
- PBT Extra: Is Dwight Howard NBA’s newest villain? 31
- Report: Bradley Beal to make season debut Wednesday for Wizards 5