Rondo, Bynum say no to Team USA

Feb 11, 2010, 8:54 AM EDT

nba_rondo_small.jpgIt is an offer, an honor like few others — the chance to represent your country in international competition. To put on a basketball jersey and answer a call that Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, LeBron James and countless other stars have done.

Rajon Rondo and Andrew Bynum said no thanks.

Both got an invitation to attend Team USA’s 25-man training camp for the World Championships this summer. Both turned it down.

Rondo didn’t decline the offer so much as just ignored it. Completely. Team USA Managing Director Jerry Colangelo called him “unresponsive” to requests. A rather immature way to deal with things, but Team USA ha plenty of options so they just moved on.

Bynum at least had a reason — he said no because his body needs rest. After missing most of the last two seasons with major knee injuries, Bynum said his body needs to recover this summer, not be put through more intense workouts.

Bynum added he wants to play for Team USA down the line, just not right now. He said he knew immediately what the right decision was, and told Colangelo. Which was at least the mature thing to do.

1. Li - Feb 11, 2010 at 9:30 AM

I hope they never ask Rondo again. Jerk.

2. Guy - Feb 11, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Is this a column or news story, because if he didn’t get Rondo’s side then he shouldn’t be commenting on it….

3. Filipe - Feb 11, 2010 at 11:14 AM

4. MJM - Feb 11, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I agree with Guy. Furthermore, it is the intent of Jerry Colangelo to get a group of guys that will practice with Team USA to keep them sharp. If I was a professional that played 9 months out of the year, and I was aked to play on a team that would enable me to represent my country – by all means Yes. But if I was asked to simply help Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Anthony, Bosh, Paul, Billups, Kidd and a few other so called superstars keep sharp so THEY can represent my country, get to play, etc. while I go home when play begins thanks but no thanks. Rondo is becoming as good as most of the other guards in the league so if he doesn’t have a SPOT ON THE TEAM, then let Colangelo find another practice squad member.

5. bizzle - Feb 11, 2010 at 11:44 AM

He asked Rondo for comment but Rondo ignored him

6. anonymous - Feb 11, 2010 at 11:55 AM

how can u blame him for not responding. he plays ball for a living. if he gets hurt than there goes his career. if i was getting paid multi-millions 2 play ball u better believe i wouldn’t waste my dang summer playing ball for free and risk getting hurt. not to mention you’d waste an entire summer that u could have spent with your family just because u wanna make a bunch of people who could honestly care less about u happy.

7. AndOne - Feb 11, 2010 at 12:38 PM

^^^Are you serious? How about man up and just decline. Have your agent do that for you. He’s a punk in my eyes…either way, they don’t need him. He can’t hold half these dudes jocks.
    You are right, he does get paid millions to play bball. Show some respect for the country you MADE you rich, and play ball for them.

8. Matt R. - Feb 11, 2010 at 12:40 PM

I think it’s valid to point out that Colangelo stated that Rondo was unresponsive.
    I have no problem with the view that Rondo doesn’t have to play for the team. Heck, I’d understand not wanting to do it unless I could be a starter…but common courtesy says you at least respond.
    If he’s missing it for his friend’s wedding, then a “I’d love to be a part of this, but I have already committed to a personal friend and that is important to me” would have sufficed.

9. Guy - Feb 11, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Rondo has reportedly had attitude problems everywhere he has been. There was reportedly locker room issues while he was at UK, Danny Ainge called him out at Boston and now this. I’m a huge Rondo fan but only on the court.

10. Anonymous - Feb 11, 2010 at 3:18 PM

He probably felt like he was the 3rd or 4th option and why should he give up all that he planned now that they ask, I think it is his option he doesn’t have to play for them, this is America.

11. Mo - Feb 11, 2010 at 3:57 PM

“Rondo blew it to attend Kendrick Perkins wedding. He clearly didn’t care enough to explain it, but he had a good reason.”
    Did you see the list of people going?

WHO’S IN: LaMarcus Aldridge, Rudy Gay, Eric Gordon, Danny Granger, Andre Iguodala, Al Jefferson, David Lee, Brook Lopez, Kevin Love, O.J. Mayo, Kendrick Perkins, Derrick Rose, Gerald Wallace, Russell Westbrook.

(emphasis added
    So Rondo can’t go because of Perkins’ wedding, but Perkins can make it? I think you need to come up with a different excuse.

12. Baller24/7 - Feb 11, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Honor or stupidity, to play for your country for FREE and RISK possible injury, affecting your potential career earnings, if you are a professional earning million$.
    This crap about serving country is old, tired & hypocratic BS – what have your country done for you?

13. Anonymous - Feb 11, 2010 at 8:55 PM

what has their country done for them? probably made them rich and get paid by the millions? duh

14. orlie - Feb 12, 2010 at 12:20 AM

My God dude these guys spend a good deal of the year on the road.
    Everybody needs a break and time to spend with their family. It can’t be all basketball all the time. Maybe Rondo wanted to think about it first and it was not soon enough for Colangelo. Kurt Helin not getting Rondo’s side of the story shows that he is too lazy or has a bias!

15. Stan - Feb 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM

D-Will can take care of that but loss of Chris Paul (CP3)due to injury is bad.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches