Feb 11, 2010, 8:54 AM EST
It is an offer, an honor like few others — the chance to represent your country in international competition. To put on a basketball jersey and answer a call that Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, LeBron James and countless other stars have done.
Rajon Rondo and Andrew Bynum said no thanks.
Both got an invitation to attend Team USA’s 25-man training camp for the World Championships this summer. Both turned it down.
Rondo didn’t decline the offer so much as just ignored it. Completely. Team USA Managing Director Jerry Colangelo called him “unresponsive” to requests. A rather immature way to deal with things, but Team USA ha plenty of options so they just moved on.
Bynum at least had a reason — he said no because his body needs rest. After missing most of the last two seasons with major knee injuries, Bynum said his body needs to recover this summer, not be put through more intense workouts.
Bynum added he wants to play for Team USA down the line, just not right now. He said he knew immediately what the right decision was, and told Colangelo. Which was at least the mature thing to do.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 10
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 9
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 50
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7