Feb 11, 2010, 10:35 PM EDT
George Karl didn’t waste any time — and he made a decision that will be very popular with the home crowd in Dallas.
Reports are that the Mavericks Dirk Nowitzki will start in place of Kobe Bryant for the West in the All-Star Game Sunday at Cowboy Stadium. Nowitzki had been selected by the coaches as a reserve for the team and is having another stellar year, scoring 24.6 points and averaging 7.7 rebounds a game.
This will make the starters for the West heavy on forwards — Steve Nash is the guard, with Nowitzki, Carmelo Anthony, Tim Duncan all as forwards, plus Amar’e Stoudemire at center, and he is really a power forward. Still, that is a team of combo guys who can shoot inside or post, and can run the floor, which in the defenseless All-Star Game could be entertaining.
The move by Karl reunites Nash and Nowitzki on the court in Dallas, where starting in 2000 and for four seasons they led the Mavericks to at least 50 wins and made it as far as the Western Conference Finals with what was one of the most entertaining and efficient offenses the league has ever seen. Hopefully we’ll get to see a little of that old magic.
Stan Van Gundy, the coach for the East, has not announced who will replace Allen Iverson as a starter, but his Magic team had a Thursday night game for him to focus on.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 3
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 4
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 37
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record