Feb 11, 2010, 1:24 PM EST
2/11 1:23 pm Reports now that the MRI on Rose showed nothing significant. He is now on his way to Dallas for All-Star Weekend, and he will be re-evaluated on Saturday.
2/10 8:28 pm Derrick Rose took a nasty fall tonight in the Bulls’ first quarter against the Magic (before the rest of the team fell off a cliff offensively, defensively, and comprehensively). The result was a bruised hip. X-Rays came back negative, thankfully. But the question now if of course Rose’s status for All-Star Weekend where he was scheduled to make his first appearance as an All-Star, as well as defend his Skills Competition title.
Rose suffered with an ankle problem early in the season and it was only after that nagging problem faded that the Bulls started to go on a tear. With another injury now on the horizon, the Bulls have to be cautious when dealing with Rose, who draws a lot of contact for a guy his size. The Bulls need him to be in top condition for a playoff push. Even though the excitement of an All-Star in the game is big, the Bulls have bigger concerns. This season may not be a championship chaser, but it sets the tone for free agency this summer. Wins make a team more attractive, and Rose means wins. The rest would do him good. Especially since Rose will report for the U.S. National team this summer. If Rose isn’t 100% fine, and understandably, a hip bruise is not big deal, but if he’s not, he should sit.
The question then is who would replace him. The two most obvious replacements are David Lee and Josh Smith, both of whom were considered huge snubs in the All-Star process. Lee’s numbers are a bit gaudier, but Smith has been a vital part of a team in the third seed, possibly the biggest part. And from a practical standpoint. David Lee is likely stranded in New York’s “Day After Tomorrow” sequel, and Smith is likely in town anyway.
We’ll keep you posted on Rose and the All-Star spot.
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 9
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 18
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 34
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 8
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (61)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)