Feb 11, 2010, 1:24 PM EDT
2/11 1:23 pm Reports now that the MRI on Rose showed nothing significant. He is now on his way to Dallas for All-Star Weekend, and he will be re-evaluated on Saturday.
2/10 8:28 pm Derrick Rose took a nasty fall tonight in the Bulls’ first quarter against the Magic (before the rest of the team fell off a cliff offensively, defensively, and comprehensively). The result was a bruised hip. X-Rays came back negative, thankfully. But the question now if of course Rose’s status for All-Star Weekend where he was scheduled to make his first appearance as an All-Star, as well as defend his Skills Competition title.
Rose suffered with an ankle problem early in the season and it was only after that nagging problem faded that the Bulls started to go on a tear. With another injury now on the horizon, the Bulls have to be cautious when dealing with Rose, who draws a lot of contact for a guy his size. The Bulls need him to be in top condition for a playoff push. Even though the excitement of an All-Star in the game is big, the Bulls have bigger concerns. This season may not be a championship chaser, but it sets the tone for free agency this summer. Wins make a team more attractive, and Rose means wins. The rest would do him good. Especially since Rose will report for the U.S. National team this summer. If Rose isn’t 100% fine, and understandably, a hip bruise is not big deal, but if he’s not, he should sit.
The question then is who would replace him. The two most obvious replacements are David Lee and Josh Smith, both of whom were considered huge snubs in the All-Star process. Lee’s numbers are a bit gaudier, but Smith has been a vital part of a team in the third seed, possibly the biggest part. And from a practical standpoint. David Lee is likely stranded in New York’s “Day After Tomorrow” sequel, and Smith is likely in town anyway.
We’ll keep you posted on Rose and the All-Star spot.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 5
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43