Feb 10, 2010, 8:47 PM EST
This must stop. Somewhere, we must draw the line on providing food rewards for team performance that warp decent fan behavior. The tacos at Staples are the most egregious example, as the die-hard fans since 2008 who showed up in the late 2nd start chanting for tacos while gathering their things with time left. It’s spread to other arenas, including Toronto. And while the event should be fun for everyone, it may have spread too far. To the D-League. From the Des Moines Register:
The Iowa Energy were playing for something more than wins or NBA callups in the final minutes of Saturday’s 102-78 victory over Erie.
The announced crowd of 8,368 at Wells Fargo Arena stood with one purpose: hamburgers.
Energy guard Mark Tyndale went to the free-throw line for two shots. The scoreboard read 98-76 with 5.1 seconds remaining. The crowd noise? You’d have thought you were at today’s football game in Miami.
Burger King offered fans free Whopper vouchers if the NBA Development League home team scored 100 points, the first time the fast-food chain had sponsored such a contest for the Energy.
Tyndale wound up clanging the free throws, and in the midst of a blowout, you know what the fans did? They booed! And there was no sarcasm in it! (There was totally a lot of sarcasm.) Fans are not taking these games seriously enough (It was a regular season D-League game in Des Moines)! Something must be done! (Nothing must be done.)
It’s just bizarre that there’s become this factor that fans seem to care about more than the result of the game. It certainly doesn’t help that perception that the league’s regular season games are meaningless.
Plus, they’re not very good tacos.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 0
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 33
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11