Feb 10, 2010, 8:47 PM EST
This must stop. Somewhere, we must draw the line on providing food rewards for team performance that warp decent fan behavior. The tacos at Staples are the most egregious example, as the die-hard fans since 2008 who showed up in the late 2nd start chanting for tacos while gathering their things with time left. It’s spread to other arenas, including Toronto. And while the event should be fun for everyone, it may have spread too far. To the D-League. From the Des Moines Register:
The Iowa Energy were playing for something more than wins or NBA callups in the final minutes of Saturday’s 102-78 victory over Erie.
The announced crowd of 8,368 at Wells Fargo Arena stood with one purpose: hamburgers.
Energy guard Mark Tyndale went to the free-throw line for two shots. The scoreboard read 98-76 with 5.1 seconds remaining. The crowd noise? You’d have thought you were at today’s football game in Miami.
Burger King offered fans free Whopper vouchers if the NBA Development League home team scored 100 points, the first time the fast-food chain had sponsored such a contest for the Energy.
Tyndale wound up clanging the free throws, and in the midst of a blowout, you know what the fans did? They booed! And there was no sarcasm in it! (There was totally a lot of sarcasm.) Fans are not taking these games seriously enough (It was a regular season D-League game in Des Moines)! Something must be done! (Nothing must be done.)
It’s just bizarre that there’s become this factor that fans seem to care about more than the result of the game. It certainly doesn’t help that perception that the league’s regular season games are meaningless.
Plus, they’re not very good tacos.
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 3
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 1
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 7
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 12
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)