Feb 10, 2010, 12:49 AM EDT
There’s a line in the poker flick “Rounders” to the effect of
“Listen, here’s the thing. If you can’t spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker.” Perhaps Larry Riley of the sinking ship S.S. Warriors should give that flick a gander. A quote from a recent San Francisco Chronicle article courtesy of ESPN:
Riley said, on average, he is fielding three calls per day regarding possible trades. He had several conversations Friday that “went nowhere,” and he recently tried to nab a “star player” in a trade that was shot down.
“I made one attempt to go grab a star player, to just see if somebody would do a stupid deal from the other end,” Riley said. “They call me and ask if I’ll do something stupid, so I called a guy and said, ‘Hey, will you consider this?’ “
This for the GM that was part of Don Nelson’s ousting of Chris Mullin, the continual burying of Anthony Randolph, Brandan Wright, letting Baron Davis walk, and watching the team continually fail at anything resembling consistency or defense. That this team is still trying to land a “star” is admirable, but it’s also delusional. A Pau Gasol trade ain’t walking through that door. Or, well, it did on draft night, in the proposed deal for Amare Stoudemire for Curry, Biedrins and pieces, but they watched that on sail on by and are now consoling themselves with Curry’s crisp passing, hot shooting, and occasional turnover issues. The Warriors problems extend past one player, and that kind of approach is dangerous thinking. The team needs a thorough overhaul from approach to execution. But then, I suppose Riley’s blindsided to that kind of housecleaning, since it would mean waxing himself.
The Warriors’ best shot at landing a star is to win the lottery. And if they stay on their current approach, they’ll have quite a few shots a that in the future.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 25
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 29
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4