Feb 10, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT
Three-team trades come together about as often as a good Brendan Fraser movie. That doesn’t stop fans from discussing them. Or general managers, according to Yahoo Sports.
The Houston Rockets are in the discussion stages of a complicated, three-team trade that would send Tracy McGrady to the New York Knicks, sources told Yahoo! Sports. The centerpieces of the trade would include the Washington Wizards shipping forward Caron Butler and center Brendan Haywood to the Rockets. The Knicks would send Al Harrington to the Wizards. For the Wizards’ part, they would still need another player, as well as a draft pick and cash to make this a workable scenario, sources said.
The Knicks would get precious cap space (unless you think Tracy McGrady comes with a time machine to the player from a decade ago, he’s not helping on the court). Houston would get some scoring punch and a guy in Butler who can create his own shot late in the clock, something they need with this lineup.
But then comes the sticky part, giving the Wizards something to build on. They would get under the cap this year saving them big money, but that is just step one of rebuilding. Somebody has to give up picks and a young player — and neither Houston nor New York really want to do that.
Still, this makes about as much sense as any three way.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 13
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31