Feb 10, 2010, 10:50 AM EST
Three-team trades come together about as often as a good Brendan Fraser movie. That doesn’t stop fans from discussing them. Or general managers, according to Yahoo Sports.
The Houston Rockets are in the discussion stages of a complicated, three-team trade that would send Tracy McGrady to the New York Knicks, sources told Yahoo! Sports. The centerpieces of the trade would include the Washington Wizards shipping forward Caron Butler and center Brendan Haywood to the Rockets. The Knicks would send Al Harrington to the Wizards. For the Wizards’ part, they would still need another player, as well as a draft pick and cash to make this a workable scenario, sources said.
The Knicks would get precious cap space (unless you think Tracy McGrady comes with a time machine to the player from a decade ago, he’s not helping on the court). Houston would get some scoring punch and a guy in Butler who can create his own shot late in the clock, something they need with this lineup.
But then comes the sticky part, giving the Wizards something to build on. They would get under the cap this year saving them big money, but that is just step one of rebuilding. Somebody has to give up picks and a young player — and neither Houston nor New York really want to do that.
Still, this makes about as much sense as any three way.
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 13
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 6
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 11
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 6
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 30
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (46)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)