Feb 10, 2010, 11:23 AM EDT
Allen Iverson has missed the last four Philadelphia games due to one of his children being sick, and he is not with the team to play in Toronto tonight. He is expected to return to the Sixers lineup after the All-Star break.
But will he suit up for the All-Star Game itself in Dallas Sunday? There has been no word yet from the Sixers or the NBA.
Fans inexplicably voted Iverson in as a starter. Iverson is a cultural icon and a famed player, but he is a decade past his peak and should be coming off the bench. He’s been on three teams since last trading deadline. He’s shooting just 43% with Philly and they are better when he sits. He’s not deserving of a starting spot, but the fans get what the fans want.
Iverson would have a hard time getting out of his All-Star Weekend responsibilities. This is the NBA’s showcase, the chance for the NBA to kiss the ass of thank all their sponsors.
And attendance for everything in mandatory. Remember, the NBA gave a huge fine to Michael Jordan and Karl Malone back in the day for just skipping a Friday night event. It may depend on Iverson’s family situation, but I’d expect him to be in Dallas.
It’s what the fans want.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 10
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 43
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11