Feb 10, 2010, 11:23 AM EDT
Allen Iverson has missed the last four Philadelphia games due to one of his children being sick, and he is not with the team to play in Toronto tonight. He is expected to return to the Sixers lineup after the All-Star break.
But will he suit up for the All-Star Game itself in Dallas Sunday? There has been no word yet from the Sixers or the NBA.
Fans inexplicably voted Iverson in as a starter. Iverson is a cultural icon and a famed player, but he is a decade past his peak and should be coming off the bench. He’s been on three teams since last trading deadline. He’s shooting just 43% with Philly and they are better when he sits. He’s not deserving of a starting spot, but the fans get what the fans want.
Iverson would have a hard time getting out of his All-Star Weekend responsibilities. This is the NBA’s showcase, the chance for the NBA to kiss the ass of thank all their sponsors.
And attendance for everything in mandatory. Remember, the NBA gave a huge fine to Michael Jordan and Karl Malone back in the day for just skipping a Friday night event. It may depend on Iverson’s family situation, but I’d expect him to be in Dallas.
It’s what the fans want.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 1
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 13
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 15
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10