Feb 10, 2010, 11:23 AM EST
Allen Iverson has missed the last four Philadelphia games due to one of his children being sick, and he is not with the team to play in Toronto tonight. He is expected to return to the Sixers lineup after the All-Star break.
But will he suit up for the All-Star Game itself in Dallas Sunday? There has been no word yet from the Sixers or the NBA.
Fans inexplicably voted Iverson in as a starter. Iverson is a cultural icon and a famed player, but he is a decade past his peak and should be coming off the bench. He’s been on three teams since last trading deadline. He’s shooting just 43% with Philly and they are better when he sits. He’s not deserving of a starting spot, but the fans get what the fans want.
Iverson would have a hard time getting out of his All-Star Weekend responsibilities. This is the NBA’s showcase, the chance for the NBA to kiss the ass of thank all their sponsors.
And attendance for everything in mandatory. Remember, the NBA gave a huge fine to Michael Jordan and Karl Malone back in the day for just skipping a Friday night event. It may depend on Iverson’s family situation, but I’d expect him to be in Dallas.
It’s what the fans want.
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 3
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 10
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 18
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30