Feb 10, 2010, 11:23 AM EST
Allen Iverson has missed the last four Philadelphia games due to one of his children being sick, and he is not with the team to play in Toronto tonight. He is expected to return to the Sixers lineup after the All-Star break.
But will he suit up for the All-Star Game itself in Dallas Sunday? There has been no word yet from the Sixers or the NBA.
Fans inexplicably voted Iverson in as a starter. Iverson is a cultural icon and a famed player, but he is a decade past his peak and should be coming off the bench. He’s been on three teams since last trading deadline. He’s shooting just 43% with Philly and they are better when he sits. He’s not deserving of a starting spot, but the fans get what the fans want.
Iverson would have a hard time getting out of his All-Star Weekend responsibilities. This is the NBA’s showcase, the chance for the NBA to kiss the ass of thank all their sponsors.
And attendance for everything in mandatory. Remember, the NBA gave a huge fine to Michael Jordan and Karl Malone back in the day for just skipping a Friday night event. It may depend on Iverson’s family situation, but I’d expect him to be in Dallas.
It’s what the fans want.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 1
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 9
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 0
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 28
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29