Feb 9, 2010, 10:12 AM EDT
Coby Karl got what every D-Leaguer wants — a call up to the NBA and a real shot.
Now he’s headed back down. The Warriors have decided not to pick up another 10-day contract for Karl, he has gone the way of Speedy Claxton in the Bay Area.
There were moments you thought he would stick. He got 38 minutes of run against Houston (after Corry Maggette went down) and had 13 points, seven assists and pulled down seven rebounds. He got a start against Oklahoma City and was matched up on Kevin Durant and didn’t embarrass himself.
There’s something about Karl people like — he turned a few heads with his play at Summer League and there were just a lot of NBA people wanting him to pull it off. He’s the smart player without all the athleticism that the rest of us non-athletes want to see make it. But at the end of the day, he was 11 of 32 from the floor, 34.4%, while up in the NBA, and that’s not going to get it done. Not even for Don Nelson. So Karl is back to Idaho of the D-League (where he averaged 27.2 points and 7.8 rebounds in his last five games).
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 11
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 9
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 45
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 21
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record