Feb 9, 2010, 10:12 AM EDT
Coby Karl got what every D-Leaguer wants — a call up to the NBA and a real shot.
Now he’s headed back down. The Warriors have decided not to pick up another 10-day contract for Karl, he has gone the way of Speedy Claxton in the Bay Area.
There were moments you thought he would stick. He got 38 minutes of run against Houston (after Corry Maggette went down) and had 13 points, seven assists and pulled down seven rebounds. He got a start against Oklahoma City and was matched up on Kevin Durant and didn’t embarrass himself.
There’s something about Karl people like — he turned a few heads with his play at Summer League and there were just a lot of NBA people wanting him to pull it off. He’s the smart player without all the athleticism that the rest of us non-athletes want to see make it. But at the end of the day, he was 11 of 32 from the floor, 34.4%, while up in the NBA, and that’s not going to get it done. Not even for Don Nelson. So Karl is back to Idaho of the D-League (where he averaged 27.2 points and 7.8 rebounds in his last five games).
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 15
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 55
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23