Is it time for the Spurs to blow it up?

Feb 9, 2010, 5:15 PM EST

On 48 Minutes of Hell, Graydon Gordian has a must-read post up on the state of the once-mighty Spurs. Graydon doesn’t waste any words in saying what he thinks about the team’s chances at a title this season:

“The Spurs are not going to win a title as currently constituted. To some this may seem obvious, to others overly pessimistic. Either way it is clear to me that not a single member of the Spurs is playing at the level necessary to win a title.”

Graydon goes on to say that he only considers three Spurs untouchable at the moment, and it’s not the three you’re thinking of:

There are three players that I am unwilling to trade: Tim Duncan, George Hill, and DeJuan Blair. In my opinion everyone else, to differing degrees, is on the table.

Graydon is of the opinion that the Spurs should be trying to get whatever they can for underachieving acquisition Richard Jefferson, and is even a supporter of trying to move Manu Ginobili’s expiring contract.

It’s never easy to admit when a team has run its course, especially one as successful as the Spurs. The Spurs front office has had an amazing run of putting the right players around Tim Duncan over the years, and now they face having to make drastic changes to the team. It’s probably the right thing to do, however. Tim Duncan is having one of his best statistical seasons, and until his body really starts to go, the Spurs should always be thinking championship or bust.

Age has finally made the Spurs into just another team fighting for a playoff spot in the Western Conference. They still have Tim Duncan and Gregg Popovich, so the window is still open. However, the Spurs are going to have to make some tough decisions if they want to return to their former glory before the end of the Duncan era.

1. ISAAC CHABOT - Feb 9, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Amen. I thought I was the only one thinking it. Duncan will never stop giving his best. He has too much pride. Most of the other stars seem to be acting like they play for the knicks

2. Tiffany Sansom - Feb 9, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Watch The Royal Rumble 2010 Free at FLY14.com

3. rrhoe - Feb 9, 2010 at 9:09 PM

I agree,but what I don’t get is Tony Parker.If he was consistant the whole dynamic of this team changes.Timmy is a warrior though,but Manu and Parker,it’s time.Oh yeah,RJ’s not getting it done either.

4. LDT - Feb 12, 2010 at 3:50 PM

I think some changes need to made with this team now. They don”t play with the same desperation to win. I think jefferson pick up was not a good move. Duncan has no help, power forward position very little production. The dynamic of the team is out of wack, no blance. I love the Spurs but this team will not win a champion this season.

5. Delmar Modi - Feb 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! I’m sure you had fun writing this article.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches