Feb 9, 2010, 12:39 PM EST
With the trade deadline looming and the rumors aflutter, the natural inclination is to evaluate potential trades based on two criteria:
- Does this trade make Team A better? Team B better?
- Does this trade clear 2010 cap space for Team A? Team B?
But believe it or not, not all NBA transactions are predicated upon instant dividends or the 2010 free agent lottery. Owners across the league are still pressed for cash, and for teams over the luxury tax line, the trade deadline represents a final opportunity to cut raw salary costs and save on tax ramifications.
Preeminent salary cap guru, Larry Coon, singled out a number of luxury tax teams (Houston, Miami, Phoenix) as potential trade partners in a piece for the New York Times.
But what’s odd about this year’s crop of luxury tax teams: rather than looking to squeeze under the tax line by unloading a minor asset (a la New Orleans unloading the Brown non-brothers, Devin and Bobby), Houston and Phoenix are looking to unload high-salary guys. It’s no mystery why Houston wants to cash-in on Tracy McGrady’s substantial expiring contract, and the cash-conscious owner of the Phoenix Suns, Robert Sarver, could very well be pushing Amar’e Stoudemire out the door. Moving either player would be a notable deal with major financial implications, not to mention the impact that a player of Stoudemire’s caliber has on a basketball court.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 13
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 9
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 1
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 21
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (40)