Feb 9, 2010, 3:11 PM EDT
Playing a basketball game in a massive new football stadium means some people are going to have worse seats than Bob Uecker.
The people in Dallas don’t seem to care. With the All-Star Game this weekend at Cowboys Stadium, the good people of Big D are still buying seats at a crazy pace.
Mavericks president Terdema Ussery said Monday that ticket sales for Sunday’s NBA All-Star Game have “officially passed 90,000 — and we’re close to 92 (thousand).”
Ussery said the Mavericks, the NBA and the Cowboys are still talking to Arlington public safety officials about what Cowboys Stadium’s capacity should be on Sunday.
Either way, the game will break basketball’s attendance record of 78,129, set by Kentucky and Michigan State at Ford Field in 2003.
As Charles Barkley said, some people are going to have to sit so far away he’s going to look skinny.
Despite the size, if it works it will be one hell of a party. Mark Cuban was right — the Super Bowl is corporate and button down, the NBA All Star weekend is like being backstage at a Lil Wayne show. It is a party. And at a party, who cares where your seats are, especially if you can see the world’s largest television.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 0
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 3
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 35
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record