Feb 9, 2010, 6:52 PM EST
Finding a good deal for Ray Allen is going to be hard — nobody wants to give equal value for a fading, aging star — but the Celtics may have some minor deals up their sleeves.
According to ESPN’s Chris Broussard, the Celtics and Bobcats have been talking about trading forward Glen “Big Baby” Davis for point guard DJ Augustin. The Bobcats need some size inside, and Davis certainly brings that. Augustin has struggled this year, shooting the ball just 37%, which has landed him in Larry Brown’s dog house. Not that it’s very hard for a guard to wind up there, someone could put together a sad commercial with Sarah McLachlan music about how Brown treats guards.
Of course, no trade is simple — Davis just signed a new deal, and as such is a “Base Year Compensation” player in the complex world of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. What it means in simple terms is Boston is going to have to throw another person to make the deal work, and they don’t have a lot of other cheap assets.
But, the sides are talking. Just like this entire trade deadline, it may be little deals like this rather than the big deals like Allen that get done.
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 0
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 0
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 15
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 14
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)