Feb 9, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT
Here’s how you can tell someone is in full job search mode: They say any job sounds good. Cleaning out portable toilets at an amusement park? Sure, I can see myself doing that. Great chance for advancement.
Coaching the Clippers? Sure, great opportunity.
The second of those is something Byron Scott said on a Los Angeles radio interview Monday. He wants to coach again in the NBA. Badly. Badly enough to take any job.
One some levels the Clippers are a tempting team for a coach: They have some talent with Baron Davis and Chris Kaman, not to mention when Blake Griffin returns he will remind people why he was the number one overall pick. Some decent role players there, too. But the flip side is this is a franchise that never wins, and has an owner more concerned with the bottom line than Ws. Put simply: This is an organization mired in a losing mentality and one coach can’t change that if there are not changes above him.
And for the Clippers, Scott could give them a credibility boost — a former Lakers star who has coached a team all the way to the NBA Finals (Nets) and had some success everywhere he has been.
But Scott isn’t getting the Clippers job anyway. Remember how he lost his team and players in New Orleans (and New Jersey, for that matter)? His first clash of personalities in the Big Easy was with Baron Davis — now the Clippers starting point guard and center of the team. Not sure even the Clippers want to try to reconcile that marriage.
Besides, the job Scott really wants is down the hall in Staples Center anyway. He’d be a bad fit right now for that spot, as well, but that’s another story.
- Can Thunder, without Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, overcome their first identity crisis? 9
- Jazz guard Alec Burks signs contract extension worth $42 million-$45 million 9
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 9
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 2
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 9
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 46
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 5
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19