Feb 8, 2010, 4:04 PM EST
At first I hated the LeBron-Kobe puppet commercials, then I started to like them, then I loathed them, and now I’ve kind of come to terms with them. Unlike the advertisements for Tyler Perry’s ‘House of Pain’ (very funny), my skin no longer crawls when I see puppets that do not resemble the stars behaving completely unlike the stars, voiced by celebrities whose voices do not resemble the two at all. It’s the circle of birth, annoyance, and commercial integration. That said, I couldn’t help but tilt my head like a German Shepard staring at a dancing clown at the latest commercial featuring Zydrunas Ilgauskas.
First, let’s just go ahead and let this sink in: Zyrdrunas Ilgauskas is in a Nike commercial in p puppet form, released the day after the Saints won the Super Bowl. Let’s meet up after we’ve all stocked up on bottled water.
Okay, cool. Z, or as my wife likes to call him, “Tall Guy,” is now in a series of commercials with the most popular player in the NBA, in the very same season he may end up on a different team for the first time in his career. Ilgauskas is at the center of all trade talks with his massive expiring contracts. This commercial may shine some light on why the Cavs are so reluctant to trade him though. He means a lot to this team. Enough to garner a spot in the King’s commercials, clowning around with him in puppet form. It’s just bizarre that Z is finally recognized in a pop culture way on the precipice of him being shipped off to basketball Siberia for cap space.
HT: Ball Don’t Lie
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 13
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 29
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16