Feb 8, 2010, 4:04 PM EST
At first I hated the LeBron-Kobe puppet commercials, then I started to like them, then I loathed them, and now I’ve kind of come to terms with them. Unlike the advertisements for Tyler Perry’s ‘House of Pain’ (very funny), my skin no longer crawls when I see puppets that do not resemble the stars behaving completely unlike the stars, voiced by celebrities whose voices do not resemble the two at all. It’s the circle of birth, annoyance, and commercial integration. That said, I couldn’t help but tilt my head like a German Shepard staring at a dancing clown at the latest commercial featuring Zydrunas Ilgauskas.
First, let’s just go ahead and let this sink in: Zyrdrunas Ilgauskas is in a Nike commercial in p puppet form, released the day after the Saints won the Super Bowl. Let’s meet up after we’ve all stocked up on bottled water.
Okay, cool. Z, or as my wife likes to call him, “Tall Guy,” is now in a series of commercials with the most popular player in the NBA, in the very same season he may end up on a different team for the first time in his career. Ilgauskas is at the center of all trade talks with his massive expiring contracts. This commercial may shine some light on why the Cavs are so reluctant to trade him though. He means a lot to this team. Enough to garner a spot in the King’s commercials, clowning around with him in puppet form. It’s just bizarre that Z is finally recognized in a pop culture way on the precipice of him being shipped off to basketball Siberia for cap space.
HT: Ball Don’t Lie
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 0
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 33
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 17
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11