Feb 8, 2010, 4:04 PM EST
At first I hated the LeBron-Kobe puppet commercials, then I started to like them, then I loathed them, and now I’ve kind of come to terms with them. Unlike the advertisements for Tyler Perry’s ‘House of Pain’ (very funny), my skin no longer crawls when I see puppets that do not resemble the stars behaving completely unlike the stars, voiced by celebrities whose voices do not resemble the two at all. It’s the circle of birth, annoyance, and commercial integration. That said, I couldn’t help but tilt my head like a German Shepard staring at a dancing clown at the latest commercial featuring Zydrunas Ilgauskas.
First, let’s just go ahead and let this sink in: Zyrdrunas Ilgauskas is in a Nike commercial in p puppet form, released the day after the Saints won the Super Bowl. Let’s meet up after we’ve all stocked up on bottled water.
Okay, cool. Z, or as my wife likes to call him, “Tall Guy,” is now in a series of commercials with the most popular player in the NBA, in the very same season he may end up on a different team for the first time in his career. Ilgauskas is at the center of all trade talks with his massive expiring contracts. This commercial may shine some light on why the Cavs are so reluctant to trade him though. He means a lot to this team. Enough to garner a spot in the King’s commercials, clowning around with him in puppet form. It’s just bizarre that Z is finally recognized in a pop culture way on the precipice of him being shipped off to basketball Siberia for cap space.
HT: Ball Don’t Lie
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 20
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 2
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8