Feb 8, 2010, 1:27 PM EDT
For the entirety of the regular season to date, the Dallas Mavericks’ point guard rotation has been fairly cut and dry: future Hall-of-Famer Jason Kidd provides on-court leadership and gets most of the minutes, and lightning-quick reserve J.J. Barea would counter Kidd’s pass-first approach with his more aggressive scoring game.
No longer. Barea has officially been relegated to mop-up duties as the third string shooting guard, and dynamite rookie Rodrigue Beaubois has stepped into the back-up point guard role…unofficially. From Tim MacMahon of ESPN Dallas:
Carlisle hasn’t publicly declared that Beaubois has taken the backup point guard reins from J.J. Barea,
but that clearly is the case. Beaubois had barely seen any minutes at
point guard until recently, but he’s been the first guard off the bench
in the past few games when Kidd gets his early breather.
“He’s earned [more minutes] because he’s worked to get better,”
Carlisle said. “He’s spent a lot of time studying the league and
opponents and film of games that we’ve played. He’s continued to make
progress, therefore I really feel like he’s earned the opportunity for
him to get into the rotation.”
The rookie, whose English has also improved significantly since he arrived in Dallas soon after the draft, gets it.
“I had a lot of things to learn,” Beaubois said. “I’m working every day
to get better. I think in practice I showed interesting things, so the
coach decided to give me minutes.
“I understand that I’m a rookie. I can’t control [playing time]. The
only thing I can control is getting better, so I just work. That’s it.”
Most of Beaubois’ minutes up to this point had come at the off-guard, where he was gaining valuable playing experience, albeit not point guard experience. Beaubois has averaged 12.5 points, 2.0 assists, and 2.5 turnovers 20.3 minutes per game since shifting to the point last week. He’s also shot 53.3% from the field (8-15 FG) and an impressive 83.3% from three (5-6 3FG) over that span. Meanwhile, Barea has played a total of eight minutes over the same two-game stretch.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 0
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 10
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 14
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9