Feb 8, 2010, 1:27 PM EST
For the entirety of the regular season to date, the Dallas Mavericks’ point guard rotation has been fairly cut and dry: future Hall-of-Famer Jason Kidd provides on-court leadership and gets most of the minutes, and lightning-quick reserve J.J. Barea would counter Kidd’s pass-first approach with his more aggressive scoring game.
No longer. Barea has officially been relegated to mop-up duties as the third string shooting guard, and dynamite rookie Rodrigue Beaubois has stepped into the back-up point guard role…unofficially. From Tim MacMahon of ESPN Dallas:
Carlisle hasn’t publicly declared that Beaubois has taken the backup point guard reins from J.J. Barea,
but that clearly is the case. Beaubois had barely seen any minutes at
point guard until recently, but he’s been the first guard off the bench
in the past few games when Kidd gets his early breather.
“He’s earned [more minutes] because he’s worked to get better,”
Carlisle said. “He’s spent a lot of time studying the league and
opponents and film of games that we’ve played. He’s continued to make
progress, therefore I really feel like he’s earned the opportunity for
him to get into the rotation.”
The rookie, whose English has also improved significantly since he arrived in Dallas soon after the draft, gets it.
“I had a lot of things to learn,” Beaubois said. “I’m working every day
to get better. I think in practice I showed interesting things, so the
coach decided to give me minutes.
“I understand that I’m a rookie. I can’t control [playing time]. The
only thing I can control is getting better, so I just work. That’s it.”
Most of Beaubois’ minutes up to this point had come at the off-guard, where he was gaining valuable playing experience, albeit not point guard experience. Beaubois has averaged 12.5 points, 2.0 assists, and 2.5 turnovers 20.3 minutes per game since shifting to the point last week. He’s also shot 53.3% from the field (8-15 FG) and an impressive 83.3% from three (5-6 3FG) over that span. Meanwhile, Barea has played a total of eight minutes over the same two-game stretch.
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 5
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 25
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36