Feb 8, 2010, 6:19 PM EDT
This summer is the second biggest international basketball tournament on the planet — the World Championships. Some people think this is actually a bigger deal than the Olympics, but those are generally crazy people whose countries aren’t in the Olympic tournament. Still, big deal.
So Team USA can count on LeBron James, right?
“I got a very busy schedule. You guys already know what my schedule is — what’s going to happen this summer,” James said. “I got to take care of business [first].”
James is making it clear — he’s not risking injury in international ball until his name is on the dotted line. Pay the man first. No reason to get into a patriotic furor over this — he’ll be in London in 2012. And this is a big kick at the can for him, he’s got to make sure he gets paid. That is the American way.
Right now, fans in New York and Cleveland New Jersey and even some delusional Clippers fans are trying to read the tea leaves here — what does this mean about him coming to my team? The answer: Nothing. It means he wants to get paid first. What decides what uniform he puts on next years starts with the playoffs and how far Cleveland goes. Plus whatever William Wesley tells him.
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 9
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 25
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 21
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 99
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27