Feb 8, 2010, 6:19 PM EST
This summer is the second biggest international basketball tournament on the planet — the World Championships. Some people think this is actually a bigger deal than the Olympics, but those are generally crazy people whose countries aren’t in the Olympic tournament. Still, big deal.
So Team USA can count on LeBron James, right?
“I got a very busy schedule. You guys already know what my schedule is — what’s going to happen this summer,” James said. “I got to take care of business [first].”
James is making it clear — he’s not risking injury in international ball until his name is on the dotted line. Pay the man first. No reason to get into a patriotic furor over this — he’ll be in London in 2012. And this is a big kick at the can for him, he’s got to make sure he gets paid. That is the American way.
Right now, fans in New York and Cleveland New Jersey and even some delusional Clippers fans are trying to read the tea leaves here — what does this mean about him coming to my team? The answer: Nothing. It means he wants to get paid first. What decides what uniform he puts on next years starts with the playoffs and how far Cleveland goes. Plus whatever William Wesley tells him.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 6
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11