Feb 8, 2010, 6:19 PM EDT
This summer is the second biggest international basketball tournament on the planet — the World Championships. Some people think this is actually a bigger deal than the Olympics, but those are generally crazy people whose countries aren’t in the Olympic tournament. Still, big deal.
So Team USA can count on LeBron James, right?
“I got a very busy schedule. You guys already know what my schedule is — what’s going to happen this summer,” James said. “I got to take care of business [first].”
James is making it clear — he’s not risking injury in international ball until his name is on the dotted line. Pay the man first. No reason to get into a patriotic furor over this — he’ll be in London in 2012. And this is a big kick at the can for him, he’s got to make sure he gets paid. That is the American way.
Right now, fans in New York and Cleveland New Jersey and even some delusional Clippers fans are trying to read the tea leaves here — what does this mean about him coming to my team? The answer: Nothing. It means he wants to get paid first. What decides what uniform he puts on next years starts with the playoffs and how far Cleveland goes. Plus whatever William Wesley tells him.
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 7
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 5
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7