Feb 8, 2010, 6:19 PM EST
This summer is the second biggest international basketball tournament on the planet — the World Championships. Some people think this is actually a bigger deal than the Olympics, but those are generally crazy people whose countries aren’t in the Olympic tournament. Still, big deal.
So Team USA can count on LeBron James, right?
“I got a very busy schedule. You guys already know what my schedule is — what’s going to happen this summer,” James said. “I got to take care of business [first].”
James is making it clear — he’s not risking injury in international ball until his name is on the dotted line. Pay the man first. No reason to get into a patriotic furor over this — he’ll be in London in 2012. And this is a big kick at the can for him, he’s got to make sure he gets paid. That is the American way.
Right now, fans in New York and Cleveland New Jersey and even some delusional Clippers fans are trying to read the tea leaves here — what does this mean about him coming to my team? The answer: Nothing. It means he wants to get paid first. What decides what uniform he puts on next years starts with the playoffs and how far Cleveland goes. Plus whatever William Wesley tells him.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8