Feb 8, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Here’s the bottom line. Yes, LeBron’s triple-crown numbers are amazing. The only other players to average 29/7/8 over a full season are, you guessed it, Michael Jordan and Oscar Robertson. However, LeBron’s scoring efficiency is a much better indicator of how LeBron is helping the Cavs win than his rebounding numbers. When you consider LeBron’s True Shooting in context with the rest of LeBron’s statistics, it becomes apparent that LeBron is truly having a season for the ages. Averaging a triple-double for a season would make LeBron the answer to a bar trivia question. LeBron scoring the ball efficiently is what could bring the Cavs their first NBA championship.
via Cavs the Blog
Our own John Krolik lays out LeBron’s current statistical pace, including a few obscure milestones in reach.If LeBron keeps pace, it will be:
- Just the fifth time a player has scored 29.5 points per game while shooting at least five threes a game. We’ve now reached the point where you hope he pulls up for a three instead of bulldozing you, but even then, you’re doomed.
- Just the fourth time a player has scored as many points with as high a True Shooting percentage. True Shooting percentage factors in free throws and three point shooting for kind of a “weighted” percentage.
- Likewise, just the sixth time a player has had a True Shooting percentage of 60%, average more than 29 points and five assists per game. There are only two other names on that list. Michael Jordan (did it four times) and Larry Bird.
- Just the seventh time across three players (Oscar Robertson and MJ being the other two) that a player has averaged 29 points, 7 rebounds, 8 assists.
Some of that may seem like it’s pretty specific in its requirements, especially when that nifty, tricky True Shooting percentage is brought in. But those numbers tell the story of something very real that’s happening that is the crux of what Krolik lays out. James is playing the most efficient basketball of his career, and its effect on the Cavaliers is obvious. Each season we marvel at how good this player has become, and each season he improves. The ceiling is approaching the lofty levels of the most drastic hype machines, at least statistically.
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 27
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 50
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 69
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 35
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8