Feb 8, 2010, 10:27 AM EDT
Are the economic times so tough that Lakers owner Jerry Buss would consider cutting out a key part of the Lakers success the last decade? Does he really have the cajones to ask Phil Jackson to take a pay cut? The Los Angeles Times Mark Heisler
But to do so ensures that Jackson walks — it would be a real insult to him, after Jackson saved the Buss family bacon a couple years back. Let us hop in the Way Back Machine and head to the spring of 2005: It is the season after the Lakers traded Shaquille O’Neal away and Rudy Tomjanovich has taken over Phil Jackson’s chair. And the Lakers suck. Really suck. They play a lot of Chucky Atkins and Chris Mihm.
The season ticket holders nearly revolt. A season ticket holder event with Mitch Kupchak has everything but pitchforks and torches. A lot of people are thinking about dumping the tickets.
Then Jeannie Buss orchestrates Jackson’s return. It was expensive ($10 million at the time) but what it saved in terms of ticket holders and sponsors was well worth the money. The Lakers needed Jackson. And he helped turn the team back into a champion. Jackson and Kobe are now tight.
All of that making the likelihood that Buss would ask Jackson to take less money very unlikely. But not impossible, because if one owner would have the stones to play a poker bluff with his franchise, it would be Buss.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 20
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 17
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead